Friday, August 13, 2010

Goblin game art asset

I painted a goblin in Photoshop for an upcoming independent game from Scott Washington. http://scottwashi.com/
I started with brainstorming some dramatic attack poses. I knew I wanted a semi-stylized goblin with a simple blade.

 After choosing the pose, the appendages were shortened to fit the stature of a goblin.

This was the first monster I painted, and I was very rough with the coloring. I'm not happy with the Tarzan-style loincloth, but I had to crank out monsters faster so I moved on to worry about other things. I worked in the resolution of the picture to the left.


 Later after I had painted the bulk of the monsters for the game and level up my skills as an artist, I went back and tweaked the lighting, a few features like the nose, and added a shadow on the floor. The picture to the right is the size shown in the game.

No comments: