Monday, August 23, 2010

Tomb of Horrors

D&D 4e level 8 campaign
I've heard of its infamy. One-hit kill traps from indeterminate origins. Acid pits. Gelatinous Cubes.
...Sounds like fun. I'll probably die horribly, but going into the game with that knowledge means that I will be entertained instead of frustrated when my character dies in a surprising, and probably creative, way.
Tomb of Horrors is based on a campaign with the same name from decades ago, in first edition. After rolling dice for a year and a half I've been looking for some real dungeon challenges. My only deaths so far have been from my not retreating. Which is real stupid on my part.
My character will be a Bugbear because I've been craving to use large-sized weapons, which deal one die-size more damage (meaning I roll two 6 sided dice instead of a twelve sided die for a Fullblade). I really wanted to use a mordenkrad with the Dwarven feat "Dwarven Weapon Training", but there's just no way I could create an oversized Dwarf capable of wielding large weapons.
I will also be Fighter class, because its simplicity matches my play style. I have trouble remembering lots of different features, especially the magic users. Also I haven't played a fighter before.
Our five person party have met to min/max our party together, making sure all the skills are covered, and the COA if somebody dies.

We're probably still going to die horribly, but we created some definite rules:
1. Never split the party
2. If a retreat is called, you must follow.
3. Don't do anything risky.

1 comment:

Will O said...

Facepalm. We forgot to cover the languages. Elven was the only language we didn't speak, and guess what language is used by everything in the Tomb?