Friday, May 6, 2011

"Happy" Matte Painting

Double rainbow. Giant mushrooms. Fairies. Palm trees. A clear beach. Floating islands. Sci-Fi skyline. Yeah, I don't need to draw chainsaws and zombies all the time. ...Boo-ya.

 One of the largest resolution paintings I've done, and was made for an art test to a video game studio. They knew I can do gritty horror art well and they wanted to see me try something happy. This was the result. My initial thought was to try a field of grass with bunnies and big flowers. Instead I went with a more fantasy style environment with a tad of surrealism. I took some time with my eyes closed listening to prog rock and imagining a sunny-fantasy-happy world.

Influences: Led Zeppelin (can you guess which song?), South Park s12e3, Heavy Metal, Venture Bros e42, Alice in Wonderland, Wizard of Oz.

Photoshop brushes used:
http://charfade.deviantart.com/gallery/146727,
http://goodiebagstock.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d2k8q3c,
Obsidiandawn.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HEE HEE. something about this is hilarious.

very nice =). I might try saturating it a bit more.