Saturday, October 8, 2011

Spider-Man Games Retrospective pt1



Now that I’m done with school I can play all the games I put off.  I’m going to play through the Spider-Man series starting with the Playstation version.  This Spidey retrospective won’t be comprehensive, but I’ll cover most of the [good] games.
 Spider-Man (2000)
                The year 2000 saw the first 3D Spider-Man game. Since the movies hadn’t come out yet, the style of the game is from the animated series from the 90’s, which I grew up watching. Stan Lee narrates, giving it the comic book vibe too. This game is old school Playstation graphics so it’s got the claw-hands and the static faces (with the exception of venom whose jaw opens and closes).

                The game is geared towards kids and fans of the comics. Even the controls are optionally dumbed down to “kid mode” which simplifies web-slinging. Several bits are for fans, like variant costumes, storyboards, comic covers, and cameos from other Marvel superheroes.
The thing I always enjoyed about this game as a teenager was that the design limitations of the city areas were written into the plot. If Spidey drops below a certain altitude he dies. Fog blocked the player’s view of the streets below, which could not have been done very well at the time.  [SPOILERS] This fog is explained in the plot: it was released by Doc Ock in order to prepare the citizens of New York for being taken over by Symbiotes. Explaining design limitations with plot elements is awesome and neat to me.
Bugs sometimes make the game difficult or easy, such as the boss Scorpion being unable to pass through a doorway and the player can safely take pot shots at him from a distance. There is no control over the camera so the player is often frustrated by attacking enemies off screen and sometimes ends up facing the wrong direction. And then there’s nothing more frustrating than  running around a health pickup in circles because you’re fighting the controls. 3D games were still growing up at this point, so these flaws are somewhat understandable in hindsight, but downright unacceptable by today’s gaming standards.
The ending cutscene is cheesy (even for a comic book game), where Spidey, Capt America, Daredevil, and Punisher are playing cards at a table. First of all, why play cards in costume? I know Spidey has a secret identity, but there’s nothing stopping Frank or Steve from wearing street clothes. Whatever, it’s a game. But Daredevil and Punisher NEVER get along and could not sit at a table peacefully together long enough to play cards. See this fan film as an example: http://www.youtube.com/user/blinky500#p/c/9F50ACB87CCE0908/3/GFoKtT1Qhms
Ps I’m pretty sure that while chasing down Spider-Man, the NY police were straight up destroying buildings using military-grade attack helicopters in this game. That level is kinda awkward in a post 9/11 world.

3 comments:

Danyol Murphy said...

I never got to play all the way through this one. I remember my friend had the demo and we played the shit out of it though, laughing our asses off at how you could crawl over everything! Sneaking past the thugs and all! Maybe I'll get a copy and play all the way through it!

It's really cool that you're doing this! I'm glad I stumbled upon it!

Danyol Murphy said...

I just wanted to leave a comment for what I believe to be the top Spider-Man games that really capture the sense of being Spider-Man or are just excellent games featuring Spider-Man. Hopefully you get a chance to play all of these if you haven't already Will and if you have I hope to see a review! Looks like you're mainly focusing on 3D games though...

Spider-Man VS the Kingpin AKA: Spider-Man (Sega Genesis) This is my favorite classic 2D side-scrolling Spider-Man game! The web-swinging was done so well!
(All the CAPCOM series of fighting games featuring Spidey)
Spider-Man (Sony Playstation)
Spider-Man 2: Enter Electro (Sony Playstation) Both of the first couple 3D Spider-Man games I haven't played much of but I have watched a lot of videos on them. These were used as the foundation for the upcoming movie games.
Spider-Man (Movie Game)
Spider-Man 2 (Movie Game)
Ultimate Spider-Man (It was a good game but I actually ended up selling my copy because I didn't really care for the new design and style of the characters and the ultimate universe)
Marvel Ultimate Alliance (Wonderful multiplayer beat-em-up/action rpg! I own the PC version but have played a few of the console versions)
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 (Haven't actually played this one. I heard it was fairly buggy but I think it's still worth playing.)
Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions
Spider-Man: Edge of Time
(Both of these I haven't played yet but I've heard they're good or look really fun to me.)

Will O said...

I won't be covering the games pre-Playstation because they're harder to find. But I could always revisit the Spidey retrospective later. ...after Skyrim. I'll probably skip the fighters and Ultimate Alliance games, though UA1 is good.